PFAS + Schoolcraft County
As a Schoolcraft County resident, you and the 8,031 people living in your community need to stay informed about the threat posed by toxic PFAS contamination.
A quick look at the numbers in Schoolcraft County:
- There are 2 sites contaminated with toxic PFAS.
- 24% of residents are over the age of 65, and their health can be aggravated by PFAS contamination.
- 4.4% are children, who are especially vulnerable to PFAS.
To combat the harmful effects of PFAS, we must:
- Raise funds to clean up the Zellar Residuals Management Area, and City of Manistique Landfill.
- Raise awareness of PFAS contamination in Schoolcraft County waterways, and conduct local events to educate boaters and swimmers of the risks associated with PFAS.
- Recruit volunteers in key communities such as Manistique to get the word out about this risk to our community.
- Raise funds to continue testing important water sources like Blush Lake and Mezik Lake.
- Raise awareness of potential PFAS contamination in Schoolcraft County waterways.
Join the Great Lakes PFAS Action Network and share your story.
What Are PFAS?
PFAS are toxic & invisible man-made chemicals that have negative health effects.
Exposure to PFAS
The most common manner of exposure is ingestion.
Health Impacts + PFAS
Toxic PFAS can have incredibly harmful affects on your health.
Where Are PFAS Found?
PFAS are found EVERYWHERE. But we can protect ourselves by being informed.