PFAS + Kalamazoo County
As a Kalamazoo County resident, you and the 264,322 people living in your community need to stay informed about the threat posed by toxic PFAS contamination.
A quick look at the numbers in Kalamazoo County:
- There are 12 sites contaminated with toxic PFAS.
- 14% of residents are over the age of 65, and their health can be aggravated by PFAS contamination.
- 5.7% are children, who are especially vulnerable to PFAS.
To combat the harmful effects of PFAS, we must:
- Raise funds to clean up the West KL Avenue Landfill, Allied Paper, Inc., Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport, and Portage Former Landfill and Firefighter Training Facility.
- Raise awareness of PFAS contamination in Kalamazoo County waterways, and conduct local events to educate boaters and swimmers of the risks associated with PFAS.
- Recruit volunteers in key communities such as Portage and Vicksburg to get the word out about this risk to our community.
- Raise funds to continue testing important water sources like Gourdneck Lake.
- Raise awareness of potential PFAS contamination in Kalamazoo County waterways.
Join the Great Lakes PFAS Action Network and share your story.
Health Impacts + PFAS
Toxic PFAS can have incredibly harmful affects on your health.
Toxic Foam on Lakes and Rivers + PFAS
Do you know about toxic PFAS foam on lakes and rivers?
Fishing + PFAS
How does PFAS affect fish in our lakes and rivers?
Drinking Water + PFAS
How does PFAS affect our drinking water?
What Are PFAS?
PFAS are a group of toxic and invisible man-made chemicals — short for per- and poly-fluoroalkyl chemical substances — that are used commonly in everyday consumer products, manufacturing and industry…
What Is GLPAN?
The Great Lakes PFAS Action Network (GLPAN) is a coalition centered and driven by people impacted by toxic PFAS pollution.
Testing for PFAS Contamination
There are several procedures to test for PFAS contamination based on the source being tested. This includes testing wildlife like fish, and water sources like drinking water and well water.